Temperatures are dropping, the nights are getting longer and decorations are already springing up on the high street – there's no doubt about it, Christmas is on its way. If you are planning to close your practice over the festive season, you may want to start thinking about your out-of-hours arrangements now so that you and your patients can relax in the knowledge that help and advice is available in a dental emergency. If your patients are less than 40 miles from the practice, it is your out-of-hours service they will rely on if they need emergency treatment or advice outside of surgery hours.
Don't forget that you can now also claim for your call out fees via your Dashboard, saving you time and paperwork. You can make an Emergency Treatment or Emergency Call Outs claim online, just go to 'Making a claim' in the Income & Finance section of your Dashboard.
Here are some useful hints and tips:
- Let your patients know in advance of your opening hours and out-of-hours arrangements for emergency treatment. Put a notice about your Christmas opening hours in reception, on your website or include them in a newsletter or Christmas card.
- Remember to change your answer phone message with clear instructions for patients to follow over the Christmas period. Your message should give emergency contact details and likely response times to help manage patients’ expectations.
- With our enhanced call out fees you can claim up to £200 on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day. Give our Helpline and Insurance team a call on 0800 0850960 to find out more or you can find the full list of call out fees that apply over the festive period in our recent newsletter.
- If you give telephone advice outside of normal surgery hours you can claim a telephone consultation fee of up to £36.00 between 6am and 10pm, and £51.00 between 10pm and 6am.
- If your patients are more than 40 miles away from home, the Denplan Helpline team will be available to source advice and treatment 24 hours a day throughout the festive season. You can also call our Helpline number 0800 844 999 anytime for information or advice.