Chances are it’s a lot more than you’d expect.
Regular visits to your dental team help to keep your mouth healthy now, and prevent problems in the future. But do you realise what your dentist and their team actually do during your visit? Chances are it’s a lot more than you’d expect.
Here are just a few of the things that your dental team may do while you’re in the chair….
- Check your jaw joints
- Look at your occlusion (bite)
- Update your general health details
- Assess you for infections, including your tongue and gums
- Check you for mouth cancer with a soft tissue check of your tongue, cheeks and gums, as well as by feeling for lumps in your jaw, neck and throat
- Record measurements of your gums to assess for gum disease
- Examine your teeth for caries (tooth decay)
- Offer preventive oral health advice, tailored to you
If you’re a nervous patient, it can be helpful to speak to a member of your dental team prior to your appointment to let them know your worries. They can talk you through exactly what to expect while you’re at the practice, and reassure you about any fears you may have.
To learn more about what happens during your dental appointments, speak to your dental team. If you’re not already a Denplan patient and you’d like to discover more about what we can do for you, visit the our page on 'Why choose a Denplan payment plan'.
Published: May 1st, 2014